The following changes have been made to the MAXScript Online Documentation since version 5.1.1 (Particle Flow Extension).
· All new classes, interfaces, properties and methods are now correctly marked with the symbol in addition to the note NEW in 3ds Max 6.
· The Table Of Contents has been reorganized to provide a more logical structure and improved navigation.
· Added a new section MAXScript Extensions for reactor. It lists all classes and interfaces related to the reactor Dynamics system.
· Added a new section MAXScript Extensions for mental ray. It lists some classes and interfaces related to the mental ray renderer.
· Added a new chapter Locating Information in this Help File containing several Topic Index pages to help you find relevant information related to typical scripting tasks:
Learning MAXScript - Topics Index
Creating MAXScript Tools - Topics Index
Developing MacroScripts - Topics Index
External File Access - Topics Index
Editable Mesh - Topics Index
Editable Poly - Topics Index
Applying Modifiers - Topics Index
Rendering - Topics Index
Developing Scripted Plug-ins - Topics Index
· Added new chapter Sample Scripts in the Scripts/Examples Directory with short descriptions of the showcased features by the respective example files.
· Renamed the chapter "MAXScript Questions and Answers" to Frequently Asked Questions and reorganized it for easier topic navigation. Added more FAQ entries (see below).
· Added new examples to the MAXScript FAQ based on user requests:
How do I calculate the Volume of an Object?
How do I create a line between two points?
How do I change the text in a Text Shape dynamically?
How do I Get the Local Rotation of a Face?
How do I Sort a MultiMaterial By Material ID?
How do I Split a Mesh by UV Elements?
· Added new and extended existing topics in the MAXScript FAQ based on user requests:
What is Scope of variables?
Why does Execute return 'undefined' when accessing a loop variable?
When do I use If...Then and when If...Do ?
When do I use () after a function?
What is the difference between 'undefined' and 'unsupplied' values?
What is the difference between '=' and '==' operators?
What is the differences between Arrays and BitArrays?
How do I create a multi-dimensional array?
How do I change a property in multiple objects at once?
How do I change the Shadow type of a Light?
· Added more information related to vector dot and cross products in the Point3 Values topic.
· Added new example showing ways to control SplineShape sub-object selection passing up the stack. The example connects two objects with a dynamic spline similar to a rope.
· Added new example to EditablePoly Properties topic - split polygons to elements.
· Added a set of Editable Mesh Selection Converter MacroScripts as examples to the respective Editable Mesh topics. See Editable Mesh Selection Converters
· Added comments to the GroupBox description to avoid confusion with Group.
· Added a note and an example regarding resetting local variables when a rollout or utility is opened to Accessing Locals and Other Items in a Rollout from External Code
· Added two new sample functions as possible replacement for saveMaxFile and saveNodes. The new functions check for existing files and prompt the user about overwriting.
· Split the large topic Editable_Mesh : GeometryClass and TriMesh : Value into multiple topics. Added many new examples.
· Split the large topic Editable_Poly: GeometryClass into multiple topics for easier navigation.
· Consolidated the callback event names and callbacks.notificationParam() return values into a single list for consistency and easier navigation.
· Made slight changes to the Learning MAXScript topics - updated descriptions of MAXScript access to reflect the changes since 3ds Max 2.0, added more links and useful information to the tutorials.
· Revisited some "How To" tutorials, added more explanations and ideas for further development. Additional illustrations were added in the 5.1.1 revision.
· Documented an existing but previously undocumented channels parameter/property of the Bitmap Value. The property has been available since 3ds Max 3, the parameter since 3ds Max 4.
· Documented an existing (since 3ds Max 4) but previously undocumented setFocus method for setting focus on User Interface Controls.
· Fixed description of on <spinner> entered handler in Spinner topic - also called when spinner is released.
· Added description of initialRollupState optional keyword in Scripted Custom Attributes and Scripted Plugins.
· Added description of .creatable and .ispb2based read-only boolean properties of maxclass.
· Added previously undocumented list of filter names to the description of the setFilter() method in Interface: trackviews
For documentation changes from version 5.1 to version 5.1.1 (which shipped to subscription members with the Particle Flow Extension), please see MAXScript Documentation Changes in 3ds Max 5.1.1
What was New in MAXScript in 3ds Max 6
MAXScript Language Improvements in 3ds Max 6
MAXScript Documentation Changes in 3ds Max 5.1.1 (Particle Flow Update)
New Classes In 3ds Max 6